Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gaining Pleasure From My God-sized Dream

Holley's God-size Dream Assignment:  We've been walking the path of God-sized dreams together for a few months now. Will you share an update with us about your dream? Let us know where you are with it–the happy and the hard. Tell us how we can pray for you and your dream too. Share that in a post and link up.

Right now, I am smiling because I realized that I have been working on all of the dreams that I originally listed.  

It's kind of like getting an unexpected present, because during the middle of the time period we had been praying, writing, and working on these dreams -- I had shortened my list.  Holley had said to write about a God-sized dream, and I wrote down five;  therefore, I shortened my list of dreams to reading the Bible through in one year and getting the clutter out my house.



A God-size dream is about God's purpose in one's life and what is in one's heart.  When I wrote down five dreams, I was writing what was in my heart;  and guess what--as I pursue reading the Bible and getting the clutter out of my house, I see the results in my original dreams-list.  I think the only one I haven't done is paint on an empty canvas;  however, I have sketched and done some small watercolors.  And, I suppose being a better wife, grandmother, sister and friend might depend on an individual's idea of what that is.   As far as the book is concerned, I think I am about ready to start writing it.  I have been thinking about that book quite a bit. 

Who would have thought it?  While I was pursuing the dream of reading through the Bible and decluttering my house, I was also accomplishing important steps for my other dreams.

There is more!  Just click on "Read More" below this line.

Reading through the Bible

Reading through my Bible in one year is going well;  however, it is not going perfectly, because I'm easily distracted by other things that I want to do.  The One Year Bible  has got to be about the easiest way to do it, other than just starting at Genesis and going all the way to Revelation.  Sometimes, I use the excuse that I have read scripture today, and I want to do something else;  but, that just makes me feel guilty.  I wonder if anyone ever gets the I am not disciplined enough thought going on in his or her head, like I do.  I'm not always sure if it is conviction from God or the Enemy trying to make me feel guilty.  So, if you would pray about that, I would appreciate it.  

You think I would know by now whether I am feeling conviction or false guilt; but sometimes, it is hard if it is about something that is supposed to be a spiritual activity.  After all, I am a grandma, and I am supposed to be wise;  however, I still deal with some of the same insecurities I did when I was younger.  Most of them are not as pronounced as they were when I was a teenager and a young woman, but being unsure about things in life still happens to me.  Then again, I do have a whole new set of problems to deal with.  Being older and dealing with illness brings difficult challenges and new questions into my life;  however, I really thought that by now, I would be clamoring to get my daily Bible reading done.  That's when I start feeling guilty.

As I am writing, the thought occurs to me that I also get a similar feeling about eating sometimes.  I don't want to stop what I am doing to eat or some other thing that is necessary to life.  In fact, if I didn't need sleep, I probably wouldn't do that either.  So the woman becomes her own mother, telling herself, "I must go to sleep, because I need sleep to survive and replenish cells in my body."  If I don't sleep, the wiring becomes more faulty, and my mind and body cannot operate properly.

That is true for reading God's word too.  I relate well to thinking of scripture as the bread of life.  When I read the Bible, I feel a well inside of me being filled.  My hunger is actually more obvious to me when reading the Bible, because it is satisfying as nothing else in life is satisfying.  Psalm 119: 103-104 perfectly states  my experience:  How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!  Through Your precepts I get understanding;  Therefore, I hate every false way (NKJV)

Now, that is one way to know whether or not I have conviction.  God's word makes everything shine brighter and clearer.  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path (NKJV, Psalm, 119: 105).  That is exactly what I need: illumination for God's path in my life.  And as far as I'm concerned, the brighter the path, the better.


Getting the Clutter Out of My House

Clutter in your house and life can be debilitating.  Of course, there are usually reasons that it gets there in the first place.  Just look at one of the programs on television about hoarders.  There are major problems going on in the lives of those people, and it makes me sad to see their situations.

I don't consider myself a hoarder, but moving and illness has been severely limiting my ability to have the neat home I used to have.  However, I have been working on that one baby step at a time;  and, I am very excited to say that it is under control now.  My house isn't perfect, but it looks like a home now, instead of looking like a mess.


One of my Facebook pages
Moreover, while working on my home I have made wonderful connections with people on Facebook, and I have developed an enlarging portfolio of blog material.  I even have some before and after pictures that I have not had time to post.  Best of all, it is helping me to fulfill God's call on my life to encourage other people that struggle with cleaning their homes and with doing the things they did before chronic illness.  There is also a nifty blessing I have received, dear friends:  you encourage me too.  You encourage me to stretch a little further and not give up.  Sometimes, when I could easily sit in my chair playing on the computer or reading a book,  I remember that I need to take care of something on my to-do list.

Here are some of my Before and Afters.

This is my dining room/workroom: table, side board, crafts storage, and mantel.
















I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the actual results of my labor;  moreover, it is still neat and clean -- even after a recent visit from my daughter, her husband, and seven grandchildren.  It brings me pleasure to walk through the rooms, rather than feeling overwhelmed.  I feel comfortable having visitors drop by.  And, it blesses my husband.  I don't think anyone feels comfortable surrounded by chaos, because we need order in our lives.  Also, It makes it hard to dust, which is an allergen for many people.  

It has always been my goal to be a Proverbs 31 woman and I could not do the simplest task for many, many months.  I knew that did not take away from the years I worked as a homemaker;  however, I yearned to bless my husband and family by simplifying taking care of the house.  My sweet husband has been extremely supportive ever since it became difficult for me to do house work;  but he does not have time or the expertise for being a "wife."  He helps me in the kitchen quite a lot, and does many things around the house.  He even cooks, but he is not the one, who organizes and decorates.  That has always been my job!  

I absolutely could not do this without the Lord.  He has been giving me strength to get out of a frustrating situation.  I thank Him with all my heart for His mercy and goodness.  He is worthy of all the glory and all the honor.  Selah.  God bless you all, and may you find the Lord and life satisfying.
                                     

     
If you want to see the pictures of where 

I say good-bye to clutter, click below.






















Please come join us 
at Holley Gerth's blog, 
where we God-sized 
dreamers have been
meeting for several months.  

3 comments:

  1. Dear Debby, I so related to your thoughts today. I have the same problem...I have such a hard time deciphering between true conviction or wrongdoing and accusation from the enemy. It is so good to know that I am not alone in my struggles! I so appreciate you sharing your heart and being so transparent. It is such a comfort to know that I am not alone in my battles. I clicked over to your de-cluttering site, and I love it! You got me motivated! I have been feeling an urge to get rid of things and simplify and this is just the gentle nudge I needed to get going! You are such a blessing to me. I am so thankful we found each other through Holley's link-up. God is so faithful! Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you....I LOVE your painting with the butterflies and your five dreams written on it. It is beautiful. So feminine and delicate! Your home is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures. You have certainly accomplished much and you should feel GREAT about yourself and how far you have progressed in your God-sized dreams! Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cheryl, thank you for telling me you have a hard time deciphering between true conviction and accusation from the Enemy. I know that is one of the darts he throws at us; but, it is also typical for a person with a tendency for being a perfectionist to be an easy target. I'm glad you enjoyed my painting. I have a daughter that is very good. I just play at it, but that is OK. We all need to play. I hope we keep in touch this summer, because I will miss you if we don't. Love, Debby.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. You are a blessing.
Love, Deborah